Finalist 2013 AHFA Australian Makeup Artist Of The Year


Feeling a little bit happy to see I'm a finalist for 2013 AHFA Australian Makeup Artist Of The Year .
Will it bring Vogue or Harpers scrambling for my services? I can but dream - but I'm still extremely delighted because I can tick the box on a goal I set last year; a goal that seemed very unattainable. Second, it was challenging both technically and creatively and I believe this always makes for a better makeup artist. Third, the effort put in by the team of model Megan, photographer Christine Kopti and myself now has a wider audience which is nice. 
So what's this Makeup Award all about? The Australian Hair Fashion Awards (AHFA) is Australia’s largest and most successful independent hairdressing awards program. And to the organisation's credit, it recognises the inextricable link between our two industries and includes a makeup artist category.  
(You could also argue that our colleagues in photography, styling, modelling and fashion design do exactly the same. We all influence and inspire each other and together our work becomes so much more than the sum of the parts).
Some good news for the makeup industry, is that we are getting better at organising and promoting our own makeup specific competitions; with the inclusion of Sydney on the IMATS world circuit, the introduction of the ABIA awards last year and the Face2Face Makeup Awards coordinated by the clever and forward thinking Becca Gilmartin.  As a vehicle for developing skill and raising our professional profile I believe nothing is as effective, and I'd like to see more of us bite the bullet and start submitting in 2014.
I'm not a supporter of the controversial Nike quote, 'Winning Takes Care Of Everything' per se, but it sure makes for a good start to the day. Stay tuned. Winners announced Monday, 15 April 2013.





Comments